Tuesday, January 17, 2012

In the Beginning






Spring Break of 2011 we started on an adventure that we had no idea would become a favorite pass-time. I had started a new job and had very little vacation time. We were trying to think of something close, fun and completely different to do with our kids- M-12 and G-8. We had recently gone to the Boat Show and the kids had a ball looking at all of the campers. While there, the nice lady had told us that they also rent their trailers. As much fun as it sounded inside the convention center, sleeping in one in the wild was a whole different deal for me.

I must say, I do love the outdoors. I am a Cub Scout leader and LOVE doing all the outside boy stuff with them. I love to fish, shoot and hang out by a cozy fire, but sleeping arrangements include a real mattress and air conditioning or heat. No roughing it for me.

So, we rented a pop-up camper for a 4 day trek to Devil's Den State Park in Arkansas. I had all the ammenities I needed- an indoor potty, 3 burner stove, sink, shower, heat, air and my favorite (it was cool at night), heated mattresses. I never would have imagined that we would have so much fun. I also found that all the other people camping at the park were families just like us. No mass murderers, kidnappers and creepy people. Just lots of families having fun outdoors with their kids. The kids were sold. We got out and hiked the trails, saw the caves, canoed on the lake, but do you know what the kids wanted to do more than any of that? Play in the camper.

I also decided it was pretty fun cooking over the open fire. We had biscuits(in the dutch oven), eggs and pancakes for breakfast and burgers and pies(in the dutch oven) and bbq sausages and potatoes....good yummy stuff all made over the fire.

We loved Devil's Den. The hiking was beautiful- waterfalls, caves, hilltop views. It was spring break so there were park rangers doing all sorts of activities for the kids- our son's favorite was all about Wolf Spiders and how to spot them at night (their eyes glow green). The bathrooms were new, clean and had hot water. We were exhausted when we got home, but all agreed that was a pretty fun adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment