Saturday, June 23, 2012

Dutch Oven Jambalaya

This is one of our camping favorites!  It makes a lot and is easy to expand if you have a few extra people show up.
Before I leave home, I will make my "mix" and keep it in a gallon size zip lock bag until we are ready to cook.

1-2 chicken breasts, boiled and chopped
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into circles
2 cans diced tomatoes (I use Rotel for extra spice)- do not drain
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
2 T Cajun seasoning (I use Toni Cacheres)
1 can corn- do not drain

Put all of this in a 12 inch dutch oven. Add enough water to make it pretty soupy. 
Put 9 hot coals below and 15 hot coals on top.  Allow to boil.
Once it boils, put 1-2 cups (depending on how much liquid you have) of rice in and stir.  Put the lid back on and replace the coals.  Check after 15 minutes and stir to make sure it is not sticking to the bottom.

Serve with hot french bread!  Yummy!
Shrimp is a great addition if you have some.  I have also added chopped zucchini, squash and okra.  That is what is nice about jambalaya- you can add just about anything and it is delicious.

Notes:  When cooking with a dutch oven- if you always use the diameter of your oven and put -3 coals on the bottom and +3 coals on the top.  This will get a 350 degree oven.  You have to improvise some if it is really cold out. 
Example:  My dutch oven is 12 inches.  I will put 9 coals on the bottom and 15 coals on the top.  Use the -3, +3 ratio on any size oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment